Where: Applewood Permaculture Centre, North Herefordshire
Facilitators: Looby Macnamara
- Concessions (limited spaces available for those on benefits, students and pensioners) £350
- Low waged (under £15k/year) £425
- Waged £495
Course Summary: This training will give you the confidence and skills to design any aspect of your life. We will be using the Design Web to create a design for ourselves as well as exploring how it can best be used in different scenarios. You will leave with a design for integrating Cultural Emergence into your life at many levels. We will also be exploring how to bring Cultural Emergence to a wider audience to bring more breakthroughs in creating a life enhancing culture for all beings.
Full Course Details
What is cultural emergence?
Humanity is presently at a time of mass cultural emergency; we see the personal, social, political and environmental problems as stemming from a lack of cultural understanding and cohesion. We believe there are tools that can help turn this around into mass cultural emergence; where abundance, gratitude, care and connection are part of our everyday culture. Emergence is a term used in systems thinking where 2 or more things come together with unexpected results. By bringing people together with these tools and methods we have the opportunity to ask good questions and to co-create answers and solutions and emerge the culture we want.
Cultural Emergence Design Course
During these courses people will come together to ask the questions:
- How can we facilitate cultural change?
- What do we want the new culture and new story to look like?
- What part can we play in helping it to emerge?
We will look at the many levels of culture, right through from our own personal culture and patterns of being, to the global context. We will share tools, techniques, processes and ways of being, thinking and seeing differently. Each course will be unique with each person adding their own unique voice and life’s experience to create exciting, engaging, worthwhile, insightful and illuminating experiences.
People will be invited to nurture the visions they hold for themselves, their communities and the world. They will have the opportunity to consider their contribution to the world and empower themselves to keep to their true path in life.
Looby and Jon have synthesised and distilled their experience and wisdom to co-create a set of core routines and principles that guide us through the cultural emergence experience and into a state of Cultural Emergence collectively and individually. The components of Cultural Emergence have emerged and grown out the overlaps and growing edges of 8 Shields, deep nature connection, People Permaculture and permaculture.
- 8 shields – a model for mapping relationships, flows and phases using natural tendencies
- Core routines of nature connection – regenerative habits to bring into our everyday lives
- Village building – developing a vibrant and healthy community to build and support connection
Design web – a permaculture design framework specifically for people based systems
- 7 ways to think differently – ways to shift from mainstream thinking to more productive, healthy ways of thinking
- Personal and Social permaculture skills – tools from the cutting edge of permaculture
Find out more about Cultural Emergence by listening to the recording of a freecall with Jon and Looby.
Below is a video with Jon and Looby sharing more about the core routines of Cultural Emergence after the Leadership Training in July 2016.
During the course you will
- create a design for yourself which will empower you to live the life you want to and move through blocks
- learn how to integrate the principles and practices of Cultural Emergence into your everyday lives
- explore how to use the design web in many different scenarios
- hear first hand stories of designing using the design web
- connect with like minded people and create a collaborative learning community
- connect with the bigger vision for humanity and how we can play our part in bringing this vision into reality
This course is designed to help us grow, shift through old patterns and beliefs, and support us in manifesting our dreams, while grounding this vision in a realistic design for ourselves.
As well as experiencing and learning the core routines and principles of Cultural Emergence an emergent community is created. In this dynamic and fertile co-creative learning community many things have the potential to emerge; new ideas, patterns, concepts, tools, games, activities, insights, friendships and working partnerships.
Through participatory and experiential activities our natural resources, skills and creativity are unleashed and harnessed. Through creating a culture of safety and connection on the course we allow ourselves to dream, imagine, wish, design and create the world we want to live in.
About the facilitator
Looby Macnamara is author of People and Permaculture and 7 Ways to Think Differently. People and Permaculture is the first book to explicitly explore the application of permaculture principles and design to people based systems. Looby has been a partner of Designed Visions since 2004, she is also one of the founders of Thriving Ways. She has been teaching permaculture since 2003 and has run many teacher and faciltitator trainings. She created the Design Web as a non linear permaculture design framework, which has now been used globally for a wide range of designs. She has a passion for engaging people with fun and creativity in the learning process.
Applewood is a 20 acre smallholding recently acquired in the beautiful hills of North Herefordshire. Here, the owners, Chris Evans and Looby Macnamara, are developing a permaculture demonstration and training centre. We feel that with permaculture, you need to see it to believe it, and then need to be able to learn it, and then acquire the resources (seeds, plants, books, friends and networks) to do it!
The site includes woods, pasture, a lake, kitchen garden and an orchard of heritage apples. A converted barn and outbuildings provide indoor accommodation and the grounds a peaceful campsite.
Who is it for?
This course is aimed at people who have an interest in people permaculture and Cultural Emergence and want to bring people based designing into their lives. We recommend that people have some existing permaculture knowledge and/or have been on a Cultural Emergence foundation course. And we are also open to people who are at different stages on their learning journey, and who don’t necessarily have these skills and are drawn to this course and feel it is the right time for them.
This course is particularly aimed at:
- Those working towards a holistic sustainable vision for humanity
- People wanting a deeper grounding in skills and principles that support healthy relationships
- Anyone starting a new pathway in their lives
- People involved in creating healthy communities through Transition initiatives and other community projects.
- Permaculturists wanting to increase their knowledge or specialise in people permaculture
This course will give you
- A powerful design for realising your own goals and visions
- Time for self-reflection, self-awareness and growth.
- A space to nourish you and your own unique gifts and grow your confidence.
- The chance to consider and clarify your contribution to the world.
- Deep connections and the creation of community with like minded people.
- Nourishing food, fun, music and creative ideas.
- Time to nurture your growth and the visions you hold, empowering you to keep to your true path in life.
For more information and booking please contact Looby by phone 01584 831195 or email.